Monday, July 16, 2012

Weekend in general: Superman, conversations with a lumberjack, and fireworks




 Last Friday I decided that instead of staying at home all day, I was better off doing my favorite past time and riding my bike around my neighborhood. My cycling adventure would eventually take me to the Milestone shopping where, out of sheer curiosity; I ended up going to Best Buy to see if there was anything worth buying. To my complete joy, I came across a Blu-Ray copy of the 1978 classic Superman: The Movie. To anyone who doesn't know, Superman is probably my favorite movie of all time. If anything, I would call it the most definitive Sci-Fi/ Superhero film in existence. To cut a long 
story short, I ended buying the movie at a fairly decent price ($9.99). On my way home, I decide to take the bus.  While I was on the bus I came across a fellow who had crutches and a cast on his right leg. Out of curiosity, I asked the man how he had hurt his leg. Apparently the man, who works as a lumberjack, had fallen from a two-story house while in the line of duty. His foot was so badly damaged that it required tons of surgery. Despite the fact that his injuries kept him away from the job that he loved, the man seemed to be in good spirits. When I asked 
where he was heading, he said he was going to the Lakeforest area to see the fire works with his girlfriend. I was curious, Independence Day was a week ago, so why would there be a firework show on July the 13th?  He explained to me how, due to weather problems, many places had canceled their fireworks show, he also said that there was bound to be more fireworks this time than they would have been on July fourth. It didn't take much thought for me to decide how I was going spend the rest of my Friday. After we went our separate ways, I trekked around more places in Gaithersburg before returning to the Lakeforest area. When the fire works finally went off, it was hard not to be dazzled. They exuded an excitement and  happiness that I honestly don't feel often. When I wasn't smiling like an idiot at the fireworks, I was also taking pictures of it on my phone and sending it to all my friends. The show lasted for about 30 minutes. After the show was over, decided to finally head home. Days like these prove that I am better off following my instincts regarding what I should do. If I had not had listened to my instincts, I doubt I would be even telling this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment